Quill or Quilling has many meanings but as it relates to weaving: 7. A spindle or bobbin around which yarn is wound in weaving. 1. To wind (thread or yarn) onto a quill.
1. The hollow stemlike main shaft of a feather. Also called calamus.
2. Any of the larger wing or tail feathers of a bird.
3. A writing pen made from the shaft of a feather.
a. A plectrum for a stringed instrument of the clavichord type.
b. A pipe having a hollow stem.
5. A toothpick made from the stem of a feather.
6. One of the sharp hollow spines of a porcupine or hedgehog.
7. A spindle or bobbin around which yarn is wound in weaving.
8. A hollow shaft that rotates on a solid shaft when gears are engaged.
tr.v. quilled, quill·ing, quills
1. To wind (thread or yarn) onto a quill.
2. To make or press small ridges in (fabric).